Last Updated on May 8, 2021
I live in Buffalo, NY, one of the rainiest places in the US. My wife and I love to take short camping trips just outside town on the weekends. But in Buffalo, you should always be prepared for a quick shower!
When I switched to two-person tent cots for camping a couple of years back, I immediately checked which of them had a rainfly (I didn’t want the hassle of buying one separately).
Best Double Tent Cot With Rainfly Comparative Chart
Kamp-Rite Tri-fold Double Tent Cot: Best Multipurpose
Kamp-Rite is by far the market leader in the tent cot industry. The Tri-fold double has a high-quality 190 TPU nylon fabric construction, and super-fine mesh cover on all doors and windows to keep out tiny insects. It has an eleven-inch elevated cot for protection from small animals, and of course, the rainfly for protection from the weather.
Features & Benefits:
- Fitted Rainfly: Kamp-Rite’s tent cots come with a rainfly that you can use to cover the tent completely during inclement weather. It has tape-sealed seams that keep out water during heavy rain. There are vents on the two ends of the rainfly for airflow.
- Large Size: The tent size is 53″ W x 84″ L x 40″ H, which leaves a good amount of space for two people. It is tall enough for both my wife and me to sit up in the morning.
- Elevated: The tent cot is set up at eleven inches above the ground, protecting you from small animals and ensuring that the tent does not get damaged due to stones or rocks on the ground.
- Mesh Doors and Windows: Mosquitoes and biting midges (also called no-see-ums) can ruin your camping trip. Both of us loved that the Kamp-Rite Tent Cot had special mesh protection against them in their tents.
- Durable Material: Nylon is a very lightweight material. The tent is 190T Nylon. 190T refers to the thread count of a tent fabric; the higher the number, the denser the material. The frame is powder-coated aluminum, which is also a lightweight material. Overall the tent cot weighs just 51 pounds, though it can hold up to 500 pounds.
- Unique Hinged Design: Kamp-Rite Tri-Folds are very versatile. Their hinged design lets you use the tent cot as a simple cot for sleeping and even a lounge chair. This video explains how the tent cot can transform from a shelter to a lounge chair to a cot:
Kamp-Rite® Double Tent Cot
- Portability: Kamp-Rite’s Tent Cots come with a 600D carry bag (The D refers to Denier, a measure of the strength of the threads used in a fabric. Tents made from polyester can have ratings of around 68D, 75D, 150D. Camping shelters are made stronger at 150D. 600D is very tough in comparison). The whole apparatus folds down to 56″L x 34″W x 8″H inches and fits in the bag.
Why Should You Buy It?
The product is spacious, well protected from the elements, and durable yet lightweight. It’s the best multipurpose product on my list because it can be used as a lounge chair as well.
Kamp-Rite Compact Tent Cot (CTC) Dual: Most Compact & Portable
The Compact Tent Cot derives its name from its folded size: 12″L x 12″W x 45″H. Despite the small folded footprint, this tent cot is more spacious than its Kamp Rite Tri-Fold counterpart.
Features & Benefits:
- Stronger Frame: The CTC dual has a powder-coated steel frame. Steel is a stronger material than aluminum. The tent fabric is 190T Nylon, the same as the Tri-fold dual. Weight carrying capacity is the same (500 pounds).
- Use Tent, Cot, and Mattress separately: One of the unique benefits of the CTC family of tent cots is that you can use the cot the mattress, and the tent separately. Having a separable mattress doubles your sleeping space if you have guests with you. You can even use the mattress at home.
- Rainfly: The CTC dual comes with the Kamp-Rite Rain Fly, which covers the tent completely and has two openings on either side for ventilation.
- Roomier: The dimensions of the tent cot are 85″L x 55″W x 41″H, which makes it slightly larger than the Tri-fold. The tent is 18 inches above the ground.
- Portability: The CTC dual comes with its wheeled carry case. There is a separate, smaller bag meant to carry just the tent.
Why Should You Buy It?
While I have mentioned above only those features that are different from the Tri-fold version of Kamp-Rite’s tent cot, the versatility, portability, and stronger frame make this a very good option. It has the same no-see-um mesh coverings, a similar mattress, and two doors and windows on either side of the tent as the Tri-fold double.
Yescom Double Tent Cot: Best Weather Protection
If you are not looking for a versatile tent cot, but your primary concern is protection against the elements, Yescom is a good choice.
Features and Benefits
- Stronger Tent: The tent cot uses 600D polyester for the bottom part of the tent. The top of the tent is 190T polyester. 190T polyester and nylon are comparable to the Kamp-Rite tents, but the 600Denier bottom makes this tent stronger.
- Protection from Rain: The rainfly uses 190T oxford fabric; Oxford is a stronger weave pattern than regular weaving. Both the rainfly and the tent are 2000mm PU coated. 2000mm is a measure of how much water the coating can hold, with ratings going from 800mm to 10,000mm. 1500mm is generally considered as the minimum water held for the coating to be called “waterproof.”
- Space: The tent dimensions (84 1/4″ x 47 5/8″ x 30 11/16″) are smaller than the other two products we discussed above. But the product weighs only 39 pounds, which is lighter than the two as well.
- Portable: The tent cot folds down to 49 5/8″ x 32 11/16″ x 6 1/8″, making it smaller than the Tri-fold but not as small as the CTC. It comes with its 600D carry case for easy movement.
- Other features: Most other features are comparable with the two Kamp Rite offerings we discussed above, such as a mesh covering on the doors and windows, inner pockets for holding your things, and an aluminum frame (like the Tri-fold). The weight capacity of the tent cot is only 400 pounds.
Why Should You Buy It?
The tent cot is smaller and holds less weight, but if you and your partner can fit in a smaller space, this tent cot has much better protection from heavy rainfall than the Kamp Rite offerings.
If you are looking for a double tent cot with rainfly, I hope these reviews helped you out. While the Kamp-Rite tri-fold is the best multipurpose tent cot, the CTC dual is the most compact and portable. The Yesscom has the best protection against the weather. Depending on your need, you can choose the right one.
Another alternative for tent cots that come with a rainfly is backpacking cots. These are lighter and more portable than double tent cots, but only fit one person, so you’d have to get one for each if looking to accommodate two people.
Or, if you already have a tent with a rainfly or want to buy tent and cot separately for more choice, you can look for double cots only to put inside a regular tent.