Last Updated on March 30, 2021
If you are a camping enthusiast, buying a tent to meet your needs is your biggest investment. To make sure that you get the best out of your tent, it is vital that you maintain it properly. Without proper maintenance, your tent can suffer from wear and tear or begin to leak. One way of maintaining your tent is to use tent seam sealant. You can use this to protect your tent seams, to repair small tears, and to fix sections where the tent seams are coming apart. There are many tent seam sealers on the market, and each of these has its own features. The following is a guide to choosing the right seam sealer for tents along with reviews of the best tent seam sealers available.
Best Tent Seam Sealer Reviews
The following tent seam sealer reviews will help you to choose the best product to add to your tent maintenance kit.
Gear Aid is one of the leading brands among seam sealer manufacturers. Therefore, the Gear Aid Sil Net Silicone is one of the best seam sealers for tents on the market now. The treatment comes in a 1.5-ounce tube it is intended for using to bond silicone-treated fabrics. There is enough sealer to seal all the critical seams on most two-person tents. It is a tough, silicone rubber adhesive that becomes a flexible, elastic seal once it has cured. This means that it will stretch with your gear. The sealer creates a water-tight seal along your seams that will not crack or peel over time. Also, this long-lasting sealant is not affected by extreme cold or heat. Therefore, you do not need to worry about the sealer failing if you use your tent throughout the year. This tent seam sealer is easy to apply in just one application.
- 5-ounce tube
- For use with silicone-treated fabrics
- Long-lasting and flexible
- Doesn’t crack or peel
- Easy to apply in a single application
This sealer comes in a bottle containing two-ounces of product and there is no mixing required. It is a water-based urethane formula that is ideal for use on tents with a polyurethane-coated fabric. One of the best features of this tent seam sealant is that it comes with a foam applicator pad. This means it is easy to apply and will not make a mess. It is also a fast-drying sealer, and this is another reason that this is a mess-free product. Although this sealer is manufactured for sealing the seams on tents, you can use it to repair many other pieces of equipment, such as your tarp or backpack. Despite the low price of this tent seam sealant, it is a long-lasting product that gives permanent results when it is used correctly to seal small holes in your tent or other gear. There is enough of this product to seal a six-person tent.
- Built-in foam applicator pad
- Easy and mess-free application
- Low price
- Long lasting results
A versatile seam sealer, you can use this on not only your tent, but also for sealing backpacks, tarps, outerwear, or any other products made from synthetic fabrics. You can also use it to waterproof other areas of your tent (for a review of dedicated waterproofing sprays for tents, check here. A common problem along seams is fading caused by direct sunlight, and this problem is resolved when you use this sealant. This is a colorless treatment, so you will have no obvious markings after using this product. Once it is dry, it is also odorless and flexible. It is non-toxic, so there are no potential risks to using this tent seam sealant. A further benefit of using this strong sealant is that it protects clean fabrics from both water and dirt. This tent seam sealant is one of the easiest to apply because it comes in a 14-ounce spray can that seals seams in one application.
- Versatile sealant
- Flexible when dry
- Protects from fading
- Dirt and water-resistant
- Easy spray application
Granger’s is an English brand that was founded in 1937. Their tent seam sealer is a high-performance product that waterproofs the seams of tents and a variety of other gear that you will use outdoors. Some of these include awnings, garden furniture, and boat covers. Although it is an effective and durable water-repellent, it maintains the breathability of the fabric. It is an environmentally-friendly and toxin-free water-based product that does not contain fluorocarbon or VOC, meaning it is a safe product to use. This is an unusual sealer because you can use it on all types of fabrics rather than just one specific fabric. One of the best features of this product is the paint-on application process, which is quick and simple to complete. You can either use a paintbrush to do this or dilute the solution with a little water and apply in a spray applicator.
- Versatile sealer
- Maintains breathability
- Suitable for all fabrics
- Simple application process
One of the best tent seam sealers for larger tents or for sealing multiple tents, this sealer contains enough product in a two-ounce bottle to seal up to 60 seams. You can use it on tents, awnings, tarps, and many other items. The fabric for which it is suitable include canvas, polyester, and canvas. It is a water-based seam sealant that cures in two hours if you apply it at room temperature. Then, it becomes a long-lasting and flexible seal that protects the seams from leaks and stretching with the fabric. These bottles have a built-in brush applicator that allows you to quickly and easily apply the solution. This applicator is ideally sized for applications to both smaller and larger areas of the fabric. This tent seam sealer dries clear, so there are no strange or discolored marks around the seams. It is also an odorless solution.
- Cures in two hours at room temperature
- Seals up to 60 seams
- Suitable for various fabrics
- Long-lasting and flexible
- Clear and odorless
You Might Also be Interested in Reading: Best Waterproof Rain Ponchos
Applying this tent seam sealer is easy because it comes in a bottle with a built-in foam brush. This application method also reduces the amount of mess and waste. There are four-ounces of the sealer in these bottles, and this is enough to seal up to 85 square feet of tent floors, tarps, rainflies, or tent seams. You can use it for either repairing tent seams of for restoring PU coatings that are beginning to flake, peel, crack, or become sticky. Once dried, this sealer is invisible and creates a long-lasting and waterproof coating to prevent leaks or moisture getting into your tent. It also becomes flexible once cry, so it flexes with the nylon. This is a polyurethane product that you can use on most synthetic materials. According to the manufacturers, it takes four hours for the product to dry once it has been applied.
- Polyurethane sealer
- Waterproof and long-lasting
- Invisible once dry
- Built-in foam brush applicator
- Covers 85 square feet
If you want a decent seam sealer for tents, then this is another good option to consider. This bottle of tent seam sealer contains two-ounces of aqueous urethane. This is a waterproof coating that is intended for use on tent seams, but you can also use it to seal seams on other items, such as tarps, rainflies, and other products made from nylon or other synthetic fabrics. This creates a long-lasting, waterproof seal to prevent leaky seals and joints. The bottle features a handy applicator tip that makes the application process easier. This applicator allows you to direct the product to the exact place it is needed without waste or mess. The product then penetrates the seam to create a clear seal that can withstand both washing and dry cleaning. The seal is flexible, so it will not crack with the movement of your tent fabric.
- Aqueous urethan tent seam sealer
- Dries clear and flexible
- Handy applicator tip
- Waterproof seal
The IOSSO Seam Sealer does not change the look or feel of the fabric when it is dried. This is a problem for many products made by competitor brands that create products that make the fabric look and feel different.This makes the product from IOSSO stand out against the competitors. Although it can prevent leaks in most seams, this product works best on polyester, cotton blends, and synthetic fabrics. Therefore, you can use it on tents, backpacks, awnings, and boat covers. One reason why so many consumers love this tent seam sealer is that the built-in foam applicator makes applying this sealer so easy. You can apply it directly to the fabric without making a mess or wasting the product. The bottles contain four-ounces of this product, so there is plenty to seal even large tents.
- Won’t change the look or feel of fabric
- Built-in foam brush applicator
- Good coverage
This seam sealer contains 100-milliliters in a squeezable bottle and it has a built-in foam pad applicator. This applicator will help you to easily apply the product to the places that it is needed without waste or mess. You simply paint the solution onto the fabric using the pad and then wait for it to dry. This versatile product is suitable for using on many products, including leaky seams or zips on tents, awnings, or waterproof clothing. The solution penetrates the threads and holes deeply to fix leaks and prevent further problems. Once cured, the sealer dries clear so you will not have strange patches of discoloration or clogged-up solution. This is a non-toxic product that does not contain any volatile organic chemicals. Therefore, it is completely safe for you to use.
- Squeezable bottle
- Built-in foam applicator
- Deep penetration
Things to Consider When Buying Seam Sealer for Tents
Not all tent seam sealers are the same, and you need to consider each of the differentiating factors when choosing which to buy. The following factors are the things you need to think about to make sure you get the best tent seam sealer.
Type of Fabric Coating
Tents are made from different fabrics and these usually have some type of coating. These fabrics and coatings each have different properties. For this reason, a seam sealer for tents may work well for some tents, but not for others.
- Cubenfiber shelters/ Dyneema- In most cases, you will not need to seam seal tents that are made from these fabrics.
- Polyurethane-coated fabrics-To seal a tent made from polyurethane-coated fabrics, you need a urethane seam sealer.
- Silicone-coated fabrics- Fabrics such as silypoly and silnylon are coated with silicone. You should choose a tent seam sealer that is silicone-based. This is because only silicone will adhere to silicone.
- Silpoly coated fabrics- Sometimes, a tent fabric is coated on one side with silicone and on the other side with urethane seam sealer. This is known as a silpoly or SilPolyPU coating. You need to find out which side of the tent is coated with silicone before you seal the seams. This may involve contacting the manufacturer.
The viscosity, or thickness, of a tent sealer differs from one tent seam sealer to the next. There are pros and cons for both thick tent seam sealers and thin tent seam sealers.
- Thick tent seam sealers- Although a thick tent seam sealer is a little harder to apply, it works well for creating patterns to attach specific parts of the tent and you may waste less.
- Thin tent seam sealers- Many people prefer a thin tent seam sealer as they are easier to apply. However, you can also waste a little if they run.
- Thinning out- Tent seam sealers for silicone coated tents are often a little thick. You can thin them out by mixing with a small amount of mineral spirits.
Tent seam sealers come with various application options. Some of these include:
- Nozzle- Many tent seam sealants come in a tube or a bottle that has a nozzle so that you can apply the sealer directly from the tube or bottle to the fabric.
- Spray can- There are some tent seam sealers that come in an aerosol can so that you can spray the sealer directly onto the seams.
- Paint-on- You can apply some tent seam sealers by painting it on. With some, you have to do this directly from the bottle using your own paintbrush, while other sealers come with a paintbrush to use.
- Built-in applicators- One of the most convenient types of application methods is a built-in applicator that is part of the tube or bottle. There are examples of both brush and foam applicators available.
Another consideration is the quantity of tent seam sealer you will need.
- For a small tent, you will only need a small tube of tent seam sealer.
- For larger tents or multiple tents, you may need a larger quantity.
- If you use your tent regularly, you may need more tent seam sealer as you may need to reseal the seams of your tent more often.
- Buying a larger tube can sometimes save you money in the long-run.
Seam sealers for tents are a relatively cheap product to buy, but there are differences in price between one product and another. In relation to the potential cost of buy a tent sealer, you should think about these points:
- The factors that impact on the price include the brand, quantity, and the type of sealant.
- Another factor that can impact the price is where you buy the tent seam sealant. You can often find a cheap tent sealant online that may cost much more from a bricks-and-mortar store.
- Shopping online for your tent seam sealant also gives you the chance to compare the product and their prices before making your decision.
Few Frequently Asked Question
What Are Tent Seam Sealants and Why Do You Need Them?
As the name suggests, a tent seam sealer is a product that seals the seams of a tent. The sealants are waterproof substances that seal up any gaps and prevent leaks in your tent. There are generally three reasons why you would use a tent seam sealant. These include:
- Prevention- Most modern tents have sealed or double-sealed edges. However, there are some tents that are simply stitched. While these are generally watertight, the seams are not as effective as those that are sealed. Some people who buy this type of tent take the time to seal all the seams using a tent seam sealant. This reduces the risk of your tent getting a leak.
- General maintenance- Over time, tents can suffer from general wear and tear, and the sealed seams can begin to fail. This is something that you should check before each camping trip as there is nothing worse than discovering a leaky seal right next to your sleeping bag in the middle of the night while camping. By checking before you set off, you can make a quick repair using the tent seam sealer.
- Tear repair- Sometimes, you may get a tear in the seam of your tent, maybe from catching it on a rock or branch when erecting or taking down your tent. If the tear is only small, you can repair a seam tear using a tent seam sealant.
Do Seam Sealers Actually Work?
The good news is that seam sealers really do work. However, there are some factors that can affect how well they work. First, just like with all products, there are differences in the quality of the products used by different brands. This means that some products are more effective than others. Second, human error can impact on the effectiveness. Not following the instructions correctly or using the wrong type of sealer for the fabric coating can all affect how well a tent seam sealer will work.
Tent seam sealer is an important product to buy to maintain your tent. There are many products available and you should make sure you buy the right type of sealer for the fabric coating of your tent.
One of the best tent seam sealers for silicone-coated tents is the Gear Aid Sil Net Silicone Seam Sealer. Manufactured by a leading brand, this sealer is easy to apply in a single application. It is also a long-lasting and effective product that will not crack or peel.
For tents coated in polyurethane, one of the best tent seam sealers is the Texsport Polyurethane Waterproof Sealer. This is one of the easiest tent seam sealers to apply as it comes in a spray can. It is a non-toxic sealer that is flexible and both dirt and water-resistant.