Last Updated on April 28, 2021
Hiking is an activity that people of all ages and from every corner of the globe enjoy. It is a fantastic form of exercise and an excellent way to explore the outdoors and enjoy diverse landscapes. While hiking has many health benefits, it can also put strain on the knees. This is even more of a problem if someone already has a knee problem, or they have suffered an injury. In these situations, most hikers will wear a knee brace so that they can continue to enjoy the activity they love. The following is a guide to buying knee braces for hiking and reviews of some of the best knee braces for hiking available now.
Quick Overview of The Best Hiking Knee Braces
|Abco Tech Patella Knee Strap for Hiking||1||Abco Tech||Check Price|
|Sable Knee Brace Support Compression Sleeves||4||Sable||Check Price|
|BLITZU Flex Plus Compression Knee Brace||3||BLITZU||Check Price|
|EXOUS Knee Brace Support Protector||1||EXOUS||Check Price|
|UFlex Athletics Knee Compression Sleeve Support||3||UFlex Athletics||Check Price|
|IPOW Knee Strap Brace Support for Hiking||1||IPOW||Check Price|
|TechWare Pro Knee Brace Support||4||TechWare Pro||Check Price|
|Paragon Sports Patella Knee Strap for Hiking||1||Paragon Sports||Check Price|
|PrettyCare Knee Support Patella Strap||1||PrettyCare||Check Price|
|Crucial Compression Knee Brace Compression Sleeve||7||Crucial Compression||Check Price|
Best Knee Brace for Hiking Reviews
When buying a knee brace to wear while hiking, you will come across many products and each of these has its own features, pros, and cons. Here are reviews for 10 of the best knee braces for hiking that are currently available.
For those on a limited budget, this is the best knee brace. Despite its low price, it is made from high-quality nylon and neoprene. This means that not only is this a light knee brace, but it is also soft and more comfortable than many of its competitors. This adjustable knee strap fits below the knee and offers the joint and tendons support while hiking or enjoying any other exercise. The hook-and-loop fastener straps make sure that this adjustable strap stays in place and does not slip with movement. While it is secure, it does not restrict your movement in any way, so you will feel free and comfortable while hiking. There is extra padding inside the strap and this gives additional knee support for hiking over challenging terrains, such as steep inclines. It also absorbs sweat from exertion, so it will not begin to feel slippery against your skin.
- Soft and comfortable
- Good support
- Adjustable straps
- Secure and non-slip
- Absorbs sweat
- Durable and good quality
This product contains a two-pack of compression sleeves, so you can keep one for use at home and keep another in your backpack ready for your hiking expeditions. It comes in four sizes, so you can find the perfect fit for you that is comfortable while providing you with the support your knee needs. The spiral elastic weaving material is FDA registered, flexible, breathable, and comfortable. It gives your knee and the surrounding area equal pressure distribution, and this gives you an advanced level of protection. This tight compression reduces inflammation in the knee joint and speeds up a recovery after an injury. It offers the right support needed for strenuous activities, including hiking. The compression sleeves have an anti-slip design, so you won’t find yourself constantly stopping to adjust your knee brace while you are out on a hike. Despite its benefits, this item is very affordable.
- Size options
- Quality material
- Equal pressure distribution
- Anti-slip design
The BLITZU Flex Plus Compression Knee Brace gives pain relief for many common knee conditions and injuries. It also protects the knee from further damage while hiking or enjoying many other strenuous activities. This hiking knee brace is made from good quality materials that are durable, antibacterial, moisture wicking, washable, and breathable. It has a circular knit structure that gives you greater flexibility than many other braces. Furthermore, they also offer protection from the sun, which makes them ideal for outdoor use. The brace works by holding the patella in the proper position, as it has a reinforced patella stabilizer. This gives extra support to the four main ligaments that hold the knee in place. As you move, the knee brace has a massaging action that helps to improve the sensory-motor function of the knee.The material of the brace also increases heat around the joint, improving circulation and promoting muscular recovery.
- Supports the joint and ligaments
- Improves circulation
- Relieves pain and promotes recovery
- Excellent fabrics
This open patella design knee brace stands out from other hiking knee braces as it has a unique four-way compression system. It gives support to your knee from every angle and gives weak knees a sense of stability. There are two patella straps that give stability to the kneecap and pain relief to the tendons. Once you have the brace strapped in place, you will not need to keep readjusting the brace and the lack of movement means it will not irritate your skin. Thee four-point Velcro strap system holds the brace firmly in place, so the same level of support is offered regardless of how long you are wearing the brace. When buying this knee brace, you must measure both above and below the knee to make sure you get the right size to maximize the benefits of wearing this product. It is extremely comfortable to wear and is just as suitable for use at home as it is for enjoying a long hike.
- Secure and doesn’t slip
- Unique four-way compression system
- Four-point strap system
- Open patella design
- Relieves pain
- Velcro fastenings
The main benefit of this knee brace for hiking is the pain relief it offers for common knee problems. It reduces inflammation, swelling, stiffness and soreness around the knee. The knee brace has a heating effect that supports muscle recovery and improves circulation to that part of the leg. Wearing this knee brace while participating in physical activities reduces the amount of strain on the knee and gives the joint some stability. The compression from the brace will make enjoying your favorite sporting or outdoor activities more enjoyable as you will not need to worry about causing further damage to the joint. Another great feature of this knee brace is the anti-slip silicone that holds the knee brace in place. This means that it continues to offer support regardless of your level of movement and you do not constantly need to readjust the brace to get the support you need.
- Anti-slip silicone
- Relieves pain and reduces inflammation
- Offers stability
As this is a 2-pack, this is ideal for people who suffer from problems with both knees or for people who like to have a spare. Made from good quality materials, these knee supports are soft, comfortable, and breathable. In fact, you will hardly notice you are wearing them because they feel so comfortable. The fabric will also soak up any sweat or excess moisture without slipping. They have a unique segmented design which allows you to adjust the supports to fit the curves of your knees. The double knot design allows you to adjust the tightness and they can fit legs with a below the knee measurement of up to 18-inches. They have built-in flexible slims, that support the ligaments and prevent you from causing further damage to the joints. Therefore, they are ideal for outdoor pursuits, such as hiking.
- Comfortable fit
- Prevent further damage
An open patella knee support, this product has unique adjustable bidirectional support. While many knee braces for hiking have uneven support, this unique design offers even support thanks to the alternating Velcro straps. This support improves your mobility and reduces pain, inflammation, and swelling. There are several sizes of this support available, so you must measure the circumference of your knee and lower thigh to make sure you get the right size for you. Buying the right size is important to get the most out of the benefits of this knee brace. The open patella design means that the brace gives support and compression to the tendons around the kneecap. It is made from lightweight neoprene and this is comfortable, breathable, and moisture wicking. It also has non-slip silicone strips that hold the brace in place and prevent it from slipping during physical activity when you would expect a brace to move.
- Bidirectional support
- Velcro straps
- Non-Slip Silicone strips
- Open patella design
This is a popular choice for people suffering from conditions such as runner’s knee, jumper’s month, and osteoarthritis. Hikers who suffer from these conditions, and many others, will find that this knee brace provides pain relief and reduces inflammation. It is a one-size-fits-most knee brace that is comfortable to wear and has two adjustable Velcro straps, so you can fit the brace to your knee shape. The comfort is increased by the soft padding within the strap. The brace gives constant compression to the tendons and stabilizes the knee joint. The fabric from which this hiking knee brace is made are soft, lightweight, breathable, and suitable for use in all weathers. The material will not irritate your skin, which is a problem for many people who wear knee braces. Thanks to the double strap, this knee brace will not slip and stay securing in place even during strenuous activities.
- Secure double straps
- Reduces pain and inflammation
- Soft padding
If you have problems with both your knees, then these support straps are a good option as they come in a 2-pack. It is also handy to have one in the backpack you take hiking and one at home even if you only have one troublesome knee. The manufacturers of this product have improved its design to include a unique silicone insert that adapts to the shape of the knee. This means it gives you individualized support that meets your personal health needs, making it one of the best hiking knee braces on the market. The inside of the support has a suede fabric that is soft against your skin and breathable. The exterior of the support is a durable Lycra fabric. This support works by applying gentle pressure on the tendon below the knee and holding the kneecap in place. It is adjustable, does not slip, and fits any kneecap up to a diameter of 17-inches.
- Unique silicone insert support
- Quality fabrics
Easy to put on and take off, this knee support is from a lightweight and breathable material that offers a high level of comfort to the wearer. They give instant support and stability to your knees thanks to the innovative technology used to manufacture these hiking knee braces. The Power Support technology heats your muscles and improves blood circulation. It also sends more oxygen to the blood vessels in your knees and slows down lactic acid build-up. These knee braces have a ComfortFlex design, which gives a comfortable and ergonomic fit that does not restrict your movements or cut off your circulation. There are double silicone grips in the supports to prevent the knee brace from slipping, so preventing the need to stop your hike to readjust the support. As they provide such a good level of compression and support, these knee braces are very effective for reducing pain, swelling, and inflammation.
- Heats your muscles
- Reduces pain and swelling
- Good compression
- Comfortable fit
- Double silicone grips
Things to Consider When Choosing a Knee Brace for Hiking
A hiking knee brace is not an item you will buy on a whim. It is important to get the right one so that it gives you the best knee support for hiking safely and with as little pain as possible. You should consider some of the following points when choosing which product to buy.
Types of Knee Brace
- Knee caps- If you often get pain in your knees when covering challenging terrain, then a knee cap is a good option. These are a lightweight, stretchy sleeve that slips over your knee and gives support all the way around. You can wear them either under or over your clothes and they are good for hikes over bumpy terrain.
- Knee straps- A knee strap is good for athlete’s knee as it gives protection at the back of the joint. There are various sizes available and they are good for longer hikes. In colder weather, it can help to also wear a fleece knee warmer along with the knee strap.
- Dual action knee strap- This is the knee strap most commonly bought by hikers as it gives support both above and below the knee. They are good if you suffer from general weakness around the joint, if you enjoy longer hikes, or if you are returning to hiking after a break. It is also the best choice for people who have had surgery and for those that suffer knee pain in colder weather.
The different types of knee brace are available in various styles. These include the following:
- Sleeves- These slip over the knee, they are comfortable to wear, and they give warmth to the joint.
- Supports- A support is adjustable and wraps around the knee.
- Hinges- These give good support as the hinges allow the knee to move freely.
- Stabilizers- These give optimum comfort as they have steel springs on either side.
- Closed patella- Knee braces with a closed patella give compression and support to the entire knee.
- Open patella- Knee braces with an open patella give movement to the kneecap and relieved pressure on the kneecap.
Although there are some basic hiking knee braces that are one-size-fits-all, most come in different sizes, so they offer better support and a more comfortable fit. The measurement needed depends on the style you are buying. While some styles have sizes based on the measurement across the center of the knee, others have sizes relating to measurements above or below the knee.
If you are still confused about choosing the right knee brace, reading this article might help.
Knowledgeable and a Few Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Knee Brace and Why Would You Want to Use It?
A knee brace is a medical product that people wear to support their knee joint, which is medically called the patella. People who wear a knee brace for hiking do so for one of the following reasons:
- Previously suffered an injury to the knee that has left the joint weaker and prone to pain.
- Suffer from a long-term medical condition that affects knee joint and causes pain or inflammation.
- Have a short-term medical condition that is temporarily causing pain or swelling in the knee joint.
- Have undergone surgery on knee joint following an injury or to resolve a medical condition and must now take extra care to prevent unnecessary wear and tear.
The Benefits of Using a Knee Brace For Hiking
If you have suffered problems with your knee, then there are several benefits to wearing a knee brace for hiking. These include:
- It will prevent further damage to an already damaged knee.
- Wearing a knee brace can reduce the amount of pain or swelling you experience.
- They can provide support even for healthy knees, so you can wear them as a preventative measure.
- Allows people with injured or painful knees to continue enjoying the activities they love.
Tips on Hiking with a Knee Injury or Knee Pain
If you have an injury to your knee or you are suffering from pain in this joint, then you may find the following tips helpful.
- Make sure you pack your hiking knee brace even if your knee isn’t hurting when you leave home.
- It is better to wear the knee brace before it starts hurting rather than waiting for the pain to hit. The extra support from the brace can keep pain at bay for longer.
- Take your doctor’s advice on how far you can hike, the support you need, and if there are some terrains you should not attempt.
- If you are in extreme pain, give the hiking a miss. Attempting to hike when you are in too much pain will hamper your enjoyment and can cause further damage to your knee.
- Wear a sensible pair of hiking boots that are appropriate for both the weather and the terrain. Hiking boots or shoes support your feet and ankles, thus reducing the strain on your knees when walking.
- Carry a lighter load. The less weight you have in your backpack the better as this will put less strain on your knee joints.
If you suffer from problems with your knees, either through a medical condition or an injury, then wearing a knee brace while hiking is important. This will give your knee the support it needs to prevent further damage and to allow you to enjoy your hiking trips.
One of the overall best hiking knee braces is the EXOUS Knee Brace Support Protector. This knee brace is unique as it has a compression system that provides support at four points around the knee. It is also comfortable to wear, adjustable, and effective at relieving pain.
For those who have a limited budget, one of the cheapest knee braces for hiking is the Abco Tech Patella Knee Strap. Despite the low price, this knee brace still offers you the support you need to enjoy hiking even if you suffer from knee problems.