Last Updated on May 11, 2021
If you enjoy hiking, backpacking, and trekking, it is essential you have the right gear to enjoy your hobbies safely and comfortably. It is only then that you will get the most out of these activities. One of the most important pieces of gear you need to buy is your hiking boots. By having the right footwear, your feet and ankles will have the support they need so that you are not in pain while spending time outdoors. There is a vast choice of hiking boots to choose between and making sure you get the right ones can seem like a complicated process, especially if you are buying hiking boots for the first time. Here is a buying guide to help you choose the most comfortable hiking boots along with reviews of the best hiking boots under $100 for both men and women.
Quick Overview of The Best Hiking Boots Under $100
Men's Hiking Boots Under $100
|Name||Upper Material||Sole Material||Check Price|
|Columbia Mens Newton Ridge Plus II Waterproof Hiking Boot||Leather||Rubber||Check Price|
|Merrell Mens Moab Vent Mid Hiking Boot||Leather & Mesh||Vibram||Check Price|
|Timberland Mens Flume Waterproof Boot||Leather||Rubber||Check Price|
|KEEN Mens Voyageur Mid Hiking Boot||Leather & Mesh||Rubber||Check Price|
|Ariat Mens Terrain H2O Hiking Boot||Leather||Rubber||Check Price|
|Skechers Mens RelmentPelmo Chukka Waterproof Boot||Leather||Synthetic||Check Price|
|XIANG GUAN Mens Waterproof Trekking Hiking Boots||Suede||Rubber||Check Price|
|Under Armour Mens Speedfit 2.0 Hiking Boot||Synthetic & Textile||Synthetic||Check Price|
Women's Hiking Boots Under $100
|Name||Upper Material||Sole Material||Check Price|
|Merrell Womens Moab 2 Vent Mid Hiking Boot||Leather & Textile||Synthetic||Check Price|
|KEEN Women's Voyageur Mid Hiking Boot||Leather & Mesh||Rubber||Check Price|
|Columbia Women's Newton Ridge Plus Hiking Boot||Leather, Mesh & Rubber||Rubber||Check Price|
|Ariat Womens Terrain H20 Hiking Boot||Leather||Synthetic||Check Price|
|Hi-Tec Womens Bandera Mid-Rise Waterproof Hiking Boot||Leather & Fabric||Synthetic||Check Price|
|Northside Womens Pioneer Mid Rise Leather Hiking Boot||Suede, Mesh & Rubber||Synthetic||Check Price|
|XPETI Womens Thermador Waterproof Hiking Boot||Synthetic & Febric||Rubber||Check Price|
|Ahnu Womens W Sugarpine II Waterproof Hiking Boot||Leather & Textile||Rubber||Check Price|
Reviews of the Best Men’s Hiking Boots Under $100
If you are a man looking for the best boots for hiking, here’s the review of the 8 best hiking boots currently on the market for men.
These are some of the best waterproof hiking boots for men. They are made from good quality and durable materials, including a leather upper and a rubber sole. They are lightweight and waterproof, so they are suitable for all conditions. The mesh tongue adds breathability while the Omni-Grip advanced traction allows the wearer to have slip-free movement. These boots feature advanced technology in their Techlite midsoles that offer superior cushioning and high energy return. This makes them some of the most comfortable hiking boots for men. The lace-up closure allows you to wear the boots with a secure fit and the shaft measure approximately five inches from the arch.
- Good quality materials
- Breathable mesh tongue
- Comfortable with midsole cushioning
- Good traction
- Weak shoelace hooks
- Very slim fit
These boots are some of the best mid hiking boots for men. Manufactured by a reputable brand, these boots have a suede leather and mesh upper with a Vibram sole. They also have a removable insole, a breathable mesh lining, and a protective rubber toe cap. The lug depth is 5mm, which will give you excellent grip when walking and these boots feature a molded nylon arch shank. The contoured footbed and the shock absorbent heels are just two of the features that make these boots exceptionally comfortable to wear, even on long hikes. They also offer a lot of support, thanks to the added zonal arch and the extra heel support.
- Very supportive
- Quality materials
- Good lug depth
- Weak lace eyelets
- Sizing different to other brands
If you want Timberland boots under $100, then these are a good option. These comfortable and durable hiking boots have full-grain leather uppers and a seam-sealed waterproof construction. This means they will keep your feet dry in any weather, so they are some of the best men’s waterproof hiking boots. These stylish men’s hiking boots have rust-proof lace hooks that mean you can lace your boots securely. The shaft measures five inches from the arch and there are deep lugs on the sole for excellent grip. These are a comfortable and practical choice that you can wear during any season.
- Quality materials
- Seam-sealed waterproof construction
- Good lace hooks
- Sole wears easily
- Interior padding is thin
These mid hiking boots have a combined upper of leather and mesh, which gives them both durability and breathability. The leather also makes them water-resistant while the mesh means they are lightweight. These sturdy and practical boots have a rubber sole that gives good traction and the contoured heel lock will prevent slipping. This makes them ideal for wearing when covering varied terrain. A further advantage of the sole design of these boots is the superb shock absorption that increases comfort no matter what the ground conditions. You are sure to get a secure fit when wearing these boots, thanks to the lace-to-toe system.
- Shock Absorption
- Durable materials
- Contoured heel lock
- Lace-to-toe system
- Weak seams
- Wide toe box
Available in copper or redwood, these hiking boots are extremely sturdy and will withstand plenty of wear and tear before they need replacing. The uppers are made from high-quality, full-grain, oiled leather that is hardwearing. They have a waterproof lining membrane that makes them suitable for even the wettest conditions. The rubber soles will give good grip over most terrains and the moisture wicking lining will remove moisture from inside your boots without letting water in from outside. These boots offer a good level of comfort, support, and stability, thanks to the padded collar, the heel stabilizer, and the gel-cushioned footbed.
- Very comfortable
- Offer good support
- Moisture wicking lining
- Heel stabilizer
- Some width inconsistencies
- Stiff ankles
Made from good-quality leather, these are some of the best waterproof boots. They have a one-inch platform and the shaft is approximately four inches from the arch. They have a synthetic sole that has excellent grip on rocky surfaces. Available in several colors and with the option of a suede finish. One of the positive aspects that customers have noted about these boots is how warm they keep their feet. People have also said they are very comfortable, once you have worked out the sizing.
- Color options
- Good grip
- Leather uppers
- Thin insoles
- Some sizing inconsistencies
These are some of the best traction hiking boots due to the features of the rubber soles. The durable and rugged soles are anti-slip and give you great grip over most surfaces andin most conditions. There is a protective rubber overlay for the toe cap and the shape of the heel is designed to guarantee your safety. The upper of these hiking boots is mercerized suede calfskin. While this is durable and does not deform easily, it is also silky and flexible. There is a traditional pull loop and lace-up design that allows you to evenly lace your boots to give you the right support. The midsole is made from EVA that gives the shoe some cushioning and acts as a shock absorber.
- Shock absorbent
- Insole loses shape quickly
- Stiff collar
Available in black, nori green, and olive tint, these stylish men’s hiking boots are some of the lightest hiking boots for men. They are so lightweight because their uppers are made from a breathable textile rather than from leather. The uppers are also anatomically molded to give them an advanced fit which improves both the snugness and the comfort. The molded tongue and vamp make these hiking boots easily adjustable and both these parts are breathable. The welded forefoot overlay gives your feet great protection while hiking and the TPU toe cap add to the durability of these boots.
- Good protection
- Snug fit
- Weak lace eyelets
- Not waterproof
Best Women’s Hiking Boots Under $100 Reviews
Most women prefer to buy hiking boots that are specifically for women rather than generic as this means they have a better fit. Here are the 8 best hiking boots for women under $100.
Some of the best women’s hiking boots under $100 are the Merrell Women’s Moab 2 Vent Mid Hiking Boot. Their uppers are a combination of suede leather and synthetic mesh. The use of these two fabrics means they are both waterproof and lightweight. They are also durable and high-performing. The bellows and closed-cell foam tongue are moisture wicking but also keep water and debris out. The contoured footbed is made from Merrell M Select FIT.ECO+ blended EVA. It has a zonal arch and heel support for extra comfort. The Vibram TC5+ soles give these boots excellent grip and they are probably the best traction women’s hiking boots.
- Great traction
- Good quality materials
- A bit floppy
- Thin cushioning
These cute women’s hiking boots are both visually appealing and practical. The upper of these boots is a combination of leather and synthetic mesh, so they are durable, breathable, lightweight, and flexible. The rubber sole means they have good grip and traction, so they are suitable for most conditions. The heel measures approximately two-inches while the platform is 1.25 inches. The metatomical dual density EVA footbed is very comfortable and is removable to allow you to replace with a different footbed if you wish. They are easy to clean and just need brushing to remove any loose dirt and debris.
- Easy to clean
- Comfortable footbed
- Good grip
- Strange lace hooks
- Rub around the ankles
The upper if these boots is treated with Omnishield water and stain resistant treatment, so they are a great option for women and are extremely durable in most conditions. The midsole is a compression-molded EVA foam that is comfortable as it is cushioned. These boots have anOmnigrip lugged outsole that gives excellent grip and traction. Some aspects of these boots are made from a breathable nylon that adds to both the practicality and comfort of these boots. The shaft measures 5.25-inches from the arch and the lacing system is triangular D-ring and clamshell.
- Excellent traction
- Good lacing system
- The uppers crease
- Too hot
These are smart looking boots that are available in copper or distressed brown. They are a sturdy pair of hiking boots with a durable and weatherproof leather upper that is oiled and has a waterproof membrane construction. The soles of these boots are made from synthetic materials and have a Dura tread, which gives good grip om most types of surfaces. The lining of the boots is moisture wicking, so it removes moisture from inside the boot without letting water in from the outside. These are comfortable to wear and suitable for most hiking expeditions.
- Good grip
- Leather creases and cracks
- Weak seams
These are a little different in appearance to the typical hiking boots that are available in dull shades of brown. These come in a range of fun pastel colors, so you do not need to give up style for practicality. The uppers area combination of suede leather and fabric, so they are both waterproof and breathable. The rubber outsoles are a multi-directional traction rubber that gives excellent grip on most surfaces and in most conditions. The EVA sock liner is cushioned, contoured, and removable. You can get a secure fit in these hiking boots as they have a ghillie lacing system.
- Attractive style
- Good grip
- Ghillie lacing system
- Contoured and cushioned footbed
- Weak hooks
- Heavy compared to similar boots
These are some of the most comfortable hiking boots for women as they have an EVA insole that is cushioned and padded. The insole is also removable and washable, so you do not need to worry about your shoes developing a sweaty smell. Another aspect of the comfort of these hiking boots is the padded collar and tongue that stop any harder elements of the boots putting pressure on your feet. The uppers of the boots are made from suede leather with breathable mesh inserts that are moisture wicking. The sole is made from synthetic materials and gives the boots good grip that will keep you safe on most surfaces and in most conditions.
- Very comfortable
- Removable insoles
- Good traction
- Poor quality lining fabric
These are some of the best lightweight women’s hiking boots as they are made from synthetic materials that are much lighter than leather. The upper is made from a waterproof mesh that has a waterproof membrane. The soles are a durable rubber that gives good grip and there is also a rubber toe cap to make the shoes long-lasting. There is a moisture-wicking mesh lining to keep feet dry and fresh and there is extra ankle support thanks to the molded TPU. There is extra insulation in these hiking boots, so they are warm even in extreme conditions. The manufacturers of these hiking boots say that their boots are slightly smaller than comparable brands, so they recommend buying half a size larger than you normally would.
- Insulated and warm
- Extra support
- Moisture wicking
- Different sizing
With a stylish design, these hiking boots are available in several cool colors. The uppers are a combination of leather and fabric with a waterproof overlay, so they are breathable, lightweight, water-resistant, and durable. Your feet will always feel fresh when wearing these boots, thanks to the aegis antimicrobial construction that gets rid of bacteria, grit, and grime. These boots also feature a TPU numentum hike unit. The outsoles are custom Vibram, so they give optimal traction in various environments. They have an eyelet lacing system that allows you to apply even support up the length of your boot. The shaft measures 5.5 inches from the arch.
- Weak eyelets at the top
- Small sizing
Best Hiking Boots Under $100- A Buying Guide
It is surprising how many factors there are to consider when choosing your hiking boots. There is a lot more to it than choosing an attractive pair of shoes for a social event. The following are just some of the points that you need to think about when deciding which are the best hiking boots for you.
Types of Hiking Boots
Hiking boots are not just a standard item as there are several types of hiking boots. These have different purposes, so it is important that you choose the type that is most suitable for how, when, and where you will use them. The main types of hiking boots are:
Hiking shoes- These are low-cut and have flexible midsoles. They are usually lighter and more breathable than hiking boots. Hiking shoes are more suitable for short to medium length hikes over terrain that is not too challenging. However, many ultralight backpackers use these even for longer treks due to the lower weight.
Day hiking boots- These are available from mid-cut to high-cut. They offer greater support than hiking shoes but less support than backpacking boots. They flex easily and do not take long to break-in. Day hiking boots are intended for either day hikes or shorter backpacking trips when you are carrying a light load.
Backpacking boots- These have a high cut and offer the most support to your feet and ankles. They are designed for longer trips that can last for several days and for when you are carrying a heavier load. These have stiffer midsoles than day hiking boots or hiking shoes and usually more durable. They are also suitable for covering varied and challenging terrain.
Size and Fit
For comfortable and pain-free hiking experiences, it is vital that you buy hiking boots that are the right size and fit. It is only then that you will have the most comfortable hiking boots. Think about the following when choosing the size and the fit.
- Always try on the shoes to check the size and fit.
- Wear the socks you will wear when hiking while trying on the shoes. Similarly, if you wear orthotics, bring them along to a shoe fitting.
- Not all brands have the same fit. Some brands will suit a wide foot while other brands offer a slim fit.
- Try on the boots at the end of the day as your feet swell a little during the day and you need to avoid buying boots that are too small.
The material from which a pair of hiking boots is made is also important for the following reasons:
- Durability- It is important that hiking boots can withstand the wear and tear that comes with strenuous outdoor activities.
- Practicality- Hiking and backpacking involve walking over varied terrains, such as mud tracks, grassy fields, rocky ground, and streams. Therefore, it is important that the materials are suitable for various terrains.
- Water-resistance- Hikers and backpackers tend to head outdoors in any weather, including rain. They will also cover both dry land and areas that are either wet from the weather or have natural water areas, such as streams to cross. Therefore, water-resistance is an essential element of the materials used for walking boots.
- Breathability- Nobody wants sweaty feet when they are hiking, and breathable materials can allow moisture out without allowing water in.
- Comfort- The materials used can make a difference to the comfort levels of a pair of hiking boots.
There are many different materials used for hiking boots, and some are made using several materials for the different components. Some of the materials used in the manufacture of hiking boots are as follows:
- Leather- There are three different types of leather commonly used in hiking boots. These are full-grain leather, split-grain leather, and nubuck leather. Full grain-leather is usually used in backpacking boots for long trips over rugged terrain carrying a heavy load. It is very durable and water-resistant. However, it is heavy and not very breathable. Split-grain leather is a combination of leather and synthetic materials. This makes the boots more lightweight and breathable than full-grain leather and it costs less. Nubuck leather is a treated form of full-grain leather that has an appearance like suede. It is durable, flexible, and water-resistant. The downside is it takes a while to break in these shoes.
- Waterproof membranes- Some hiking boot uppers have a waterproof membrane to increase water-resistance. However, they can make the boots less breathable.
- Synthetics- Many modern hiking boots are made from synthetics, such as nylon, polyester, and synthetic leather. The advantages of choosing synthetic hiking boots are they are cheaper, lighter, and more breathable. The downside is they begin to show wear and tear sooner.
- Vegan materials- Some shoes are made with vegan hikers and backpackers in mind and there are no materials used that are derived from animals.
- Rubber- almost all hiking boots have rubber in their outsoles.
- EVA- This is a material used in midsoles to give support. It is a cheap material that gives a cushioned feel inside a boot.
- Polyurethane- This is another material that is used in midsoles. It is firm and durable, so it is often used in backpacking and mountaineering boots.
There are many differences between the different brands that manufacture hiking boots. Some of these include:
- A few brands use innovative technology that they have patented and only they can use to enhance factors such as breathability and water resistance.
- Some brands are better suited to some people than others due to their fit. Some have a wide fit and others have a slim fit.
- Many people have a preference over which brands they will use.
The prices for hiking boots can vary significantly. Consider the following points:
- The price is affected by the brand, the materials, the quality, and any other features.
- More expensive does not always mean better quality as sometimes the brand is a bigger influence on the price.
- Similarly, you can get some excellent hiking boots at reduced prices if you shop online. You can get some of the best hiking boots under $100 if you look for a bargain.
- You can save money by checking a pair of hiking boots has the right fit by trying them on in a bricks-and-mortar store first and then buying the same pair online at a lower price.
There are some other features to look out for that make some hiking boots stand out from their competitors. Some features you may come across include:
- Heel brake- Some hiking boots have a well-defined heel zone, and this helps to stop slipping when you are hiking down a steep descent.
- Lug pattern- These are bumps on the outsole that gives hiking boots extra traction. If the lugs are widely spaced, they give good grip and will shed mud easier.
- Crampon compatibility- If you intend to backpack in winter or to go mountaineering, then you should choose a pair of hiking boots that are compatible with crampons.
Why Are Hiking Boots Different and Do You Really Need Them?
It is a mistake to think that you can buy any pair of boots and use them as hiking boots. You will soon find that you are uncomfortable or that you are slipping and sliding over different terrain. It is important to buy proper hiking boots for activities such as hiking, backpacking, and trekking. Hiking boots differ from regular boots in the following ways:
- Support- Hiking boots give you support in the parts of your feet and ankles that you need to hike safely. They can reduce the likelihood of injuries or of straining your joints.
- Comfort- A boot not intended for hiking will offer the same level of comfort when hiking as a proper hiking boot.
- Durability- Hiking boots are made from durable materials to make sure they last a long time in various conditions while other boots are possibly not as durable.
- Suitability- Each element of a hiking boot is designed with hiking and backpacking in all weathers and over various terrains in mind. This means they are suitable for these activities. On the other hand, other styles of boots are designed for general wear and are not suitable.
- Grip and traction- Hiking boots have superior grip and traction to keep you safe and prevent slips or falls when covering challenging terrain.
Are Hiking Boots Wearable in All Seasons?
Whether or not a pair of hiking boots is suitable for all seasons depends on which type you buy. Some hiking boots are intended for warmer weather while others are intended for use in all conditions throughout the year. Many are water-resistant and breathable, so you can use them regardless of whether it is hot and dry or cold and wet. However, you may need separate hiking boots if you intend to hike or backpack in extreme conditions during winter and will cover lots of ice and snow. You may also need to consider buying snow boots, crampons, and microspikes.
Different Hiking Boot Fittings and How Your Hiking Boots Should Really Fit
As already mentioned, the fit of your hiking boots is one of the most important elements in finding the right hiking boots for you. It is not just about buying the right size as the fit is just as important. Some of the different types of fit include wide fit, slim fit, and regular fit. To make sure you buy the right fit, it is vital that you understand how hiking boots should really fit.
- Hiking boots should feel snug all over but not tight.
- You should not be able to wiggle your toes inside your hiking boots.
- You should lace the boots evenly all the way up so that there is the same traction along the lacing.
Hiking boots are a vital piece of gear for hikers, backpacker, and trekkers for them to enjoy their hobbies safely and in comfort. There are some fantastic products available and while one brand will suit one person, another brand is better suited to others. Many of these are very affordable. Each pair of hiking boots has its own pros and cons, so personal preference will play a big part in which pair of hiking boots you choose.
The best men’s hiking boots under $100 are the Merrell Men’s Moab Vent Mid Hiking Boot. These are a solid and practical choice that will not let you down no matter where you are hiking. The only word of warning with these boots is to check the sizing first to make sure you get the most comfortable fit.
The best women’s hiking boots under $100 would be the KEEN Women’s Voyager Mid Hiking Boot. There is very little to dislike about these hiking boots, both in terms of appearance and functionality. The many features of these hiking boots mean you will stay dry and comfortable even on long hikes over challenging terrain in these hiking boots.