Last Updated on April 28, 2021
For a successful camping trip, you need to take various pieces of equipment to do your usual daily activities in an outdoor setting. Eating is an important part of most people’s day and you will need to buy camping plates and bowls to have something on which you can serve your meals. There are plenty of choices out there, but it can seem overwhelming to choose the best camping dinnerware to meet your needs. This guide gives you some tips and useful pointers to help you find the best camping plates and bowls set for you.
Quick Overview of The Best Camping Dinnerware Sets
|GSI Outdoors Cascadian Table Set||7.5 Oz||Polypropylene||Check Price|
|Light My Fire 8-Piece BPA-Free Meal Kit||13.4 Oz||Polypropylene||Check Price|
|Fozzils Solo Pack (Cup, Bowl, Dish)||4.8 Oz||Polypropylene||Check Price|
|Coleman 2-person Dinner Set||1.2 Oz||Plastic||Check Price|
|Camping Mess Kit 4 Person Dinnerware Set||6.8 Oz||Polypropylene||Check Price|
|Camp Casual CC-001 12-Piece Dish Set||5.4 Oz||Melamine||Check Price|
|Wealers Stainless Steel Tabelware||14.7 Oz||Stainless steel||Check Price|
|Coghlan's 4-Person Camp Tableware||1 Oz||Polypropylene||Check Price|
Reviews of The Best Camping Plates and Bowls
Although there are plenty of camping plates and bowls to choose from, here is a comparison of some of the best available now.
Not everyone needs to buy a full dinner set and buying a one-person set is the better option. This set is ideal for either one person or for people who want to buy specific quantities.
This set includes a plate, a bowl, a cup, a fork, a knife, and a spoon.
This individual dining set is made from durable materials that are made to last. They are easy to clean, non-leaching, and have a mesh sack for easy travel and storage.
- Easy to clean
- Includes cutlery
- Available in four colors
- Flimsy with hot food
- Flat spoon
For the lone backpacker or hiker, this is a great option. It is just as suitable to order in multiples for families with an uneven number of people who do not want to waste money buying sets for multiple people where some of the items will not get used. Most people like the bright colors and the fact that the set is easy to care for. However, they have said that the thin materials mean that the plates and bowls feel a little flimsy when filled with hot food. The only other issue with this set is that the spoon is too flat to take a decent mouthful. Overall, it is a great camping dish set for lone hikers and backpackers.
This meets all your needs for eating on the go as it includes not only dinnerware, but also preparation accessories and storage boxes.
Includes one original SnapBox, an oval SnapBox, a Spork, a Harness, a cutting board with a strainer, a Pack-up-Cup, a plate, and a bowl. The plate and bowl fit together for easy packing or to create an extra storage box.
The Spork is a versatile all-in-one utensil that is designed for various cooking functions. It does not scratch cookware.
The set is made from durable Polypropylene. Not only are these camping dishes sturdy and long-lasting, they also do not soften at higher temperatures.
- Comes with accessories
- Seven color options
- Weak elastic strap
- Plate and bowl put together leaks fluids
This is one of the best dish sets in terms of its versatility. Every item in the set is multi-functional, durable, and stylish. This means you can meet all your eating and cooking needs with just one purchase. This is only suitable for people who are buying for themselves rather than for a family because you would not want multiples of some of the items. The main complaint about this item is that the elastic strap that holds the set together is weak. Some people have also mentioned that using the plate and bowl attached as a storage tub is not good for fluids as they leak.
This lightweight, flatpack set is the ideal choice for lone backpacker.
All the items in this set will pack flat. This means they are easy to transport in any size backpack or suitcase and will store away neatly.
These BPA-free products are made from a durable material that is non-stick and easy to clean.
- Durable materials
- Good design
- Doesn’t warp when holding hot food
- Snaps don’t hold together in the cold
This lightweight, flatpack set is a fantastic alternative to using disposable dinnerware. This product is ideally suited to hikers, backpackers, and trekkers who want something that takes up as little weight as possible in their backpack. Despite the lightweight materials, this is very durable and doesn’t even become soft when using to hold hot food. The only problem reported with this set is that the snaps do not hold together in freezing conditions. The buyers who have reported this have used the product while camping in extreme conditions. However, it is generally fine throughout the year, including regular winter conditions.
This set meets the basic needs of a couple or a pair of friends dining while camping or spending time outdoors.
Each set comes with two mugs, two bowls, two plates, two forks, two knives, and two spoons.
Coleman is a reputable outdoors brand that produces good quality and durable products.
- Quality, durable materials
- Shallow bowls
- Cutlery less sturdy than the dinnerware
The affordable price Is one of the major selling points of this 2-person set. Most buyers say that this is a good option as it is lightweight, and the dinnerware is sturdy. They have also said these are some of the best camping dishes they have used. However, people are less impressed with the cutlery’s quality and think that it is not of the same standard as the dinnerware. The only other gripe with this product is that the bowls are quite shallow. Despite these minor issues, it is one of the best options for people on a budget.
This bright mess kit features four bold colors and is a practical option that is suitable for camping and for use in various outdoor settings.
Handy Mesh Bag:
This set comes with a handy mesh bag. This is ideal for storing the set, even if it is wet after washing. You can also hang it from the inside of a tent, so it is not taking up floor space.
In addition to the four cups, four plates, and four bowls, there are four pieces of multi-purpose cutlery. Each piece of all-in-one cutlery has a four at one end and a spoon at the other with a knife edge along one prong of the fork.
This is a functional set that is durable, easy to clean, and dishwasher-friendly. It is made from eco-friendly, BPA-free polypropylene.
- Easy to clean
- Storage provided
- Bright design
- Durable materials
- Bag a little small
- All-in-one cutlery weak
- Separate knife would work better
The durable materials make this a functional choice that meets basic requirements for camp dining. The mesh bag for storage is also a great idea, although some people felt that it was tricky to get everything into neatly and a bigger mesh bag would help. In theory, the all-in-one cutlery is a great idea; there are fewer items to pack or lose. However, you cannot use the knife and fork at the same time as they are on one item. Some buyers also said that the cutlery was weak in comparison to the sturdiness of the other items in the kit.
If you are looking for something different, this 12-piece set stands out against its competitors in terms of design.
This plate and dish set features a funky retro design of campervans, maps, and outdoor scenes in pastel colors.
Plate Size Options:
Each set has four bowls, four salad plates, and four dinner plates.
This is a durable dinner set as it is made from melamine. It is easy to clean and is dishwasher-safe if you use the top shelf.
- Great design
- Different plate sizes
- Top-shelf dishwasher-safe
- Easy to clean
- Not microwave-safe
These plates are a fun set for people who want something different from the usual bold-colored sets available. Other than the fun design, it is the set’s durability that is the most appealing feature. On the downside, these are heavy plates and not suited for people who are hiking or backpacking. Some people were disappointed to find they are not microwave-safe as they hoped to use them at home as well as for camping.
This stainless-steel dinnerware set is perfect for outdoor pursuits as it is weatherproof and will not trust. Its smart design is also appealing.
This is one of the best stainless-steel dinnerware sets available. It is made fromhigh-quality stainless steel that is durable and easy to clean. It is also 100% food grade and PBA-free.
Each set has a cup, a bowl, a plate, a knife, a fork, and a spoon.
Each kit comes with a mesh bag that is a perfect storage solution and you can hang the tableware from the inside of a tent in this bag.
- Easy to clean
- Storage provided
- Smart design
- Bag has weak seams
Customers have described this product as awesome and as one that you would buy to last. Although it is more expensive than many competitive products, buyers think that this set is worth the extra cost. The only criticism that people have about this dinner set is that the mesh bag used for storage has weak seams. For this reason, the bag may need replacing long before the dinner set.
This set is a great option for families on a budget as it is one of the cheapest four-person tableware options on the market now.
Includes 12 Items:
This set includes 12 items; four cups, four plates, and four bowls.
It is made from durable and flexible BPA-free polypropylene. This means it is also lightweight and easy to clean.
- Easy to clean
- Don’t become soft with heat
- No cutlery
- Surfaces scratch
- Small cups
For anyone who has a limited budget, this is one of the best camping plates and bowls sets. Although it is cheap, it is a sturdy set that you can use for both hot and cold food. It is ideal for camping as it is lightweight and easy to clean. It is a shame that the set does not include matching cutlery, but you can easily buy a separate cutlery set. Some people also felt that the cups are too small. Again, this is not a major issue. The only other issue that people have noted about this set is that the plates scratch easily.
Things to Consider When Choosing Camping Dinnerware
When choosing camping plates and dishes, there are several things that you should consider so you make the best choice for you. Here are some of the factors you should think about when making this decision.
- You need a camping dinnerware set that is easily portable.
- Choosing lightweight dinnerware set is the most important factor in whether the set is portable or not.
- Consider sets that stack easily within each other.
- Think about buying a set that comes with a carry handle box.
Materials of Camping Plates and Bowls
- Choose durable materials that will stand the test of time and can take knocks and bumps.
- Avoid breakable materials, such as ceramics or glass. Not only is this a waste of money, it is also a safety hazard.
- Some of the best materials include plastic, metal, enamel, or stainless-steel.
- Look for materials that are scratch-resistant as this means you will get more use out of them.
Easy to Clean
- You need a camping dinner set that is easy to clean. This will save you time and the facilities for washing-up are not always great at campsites.
- Plastic camping plates are one of the best options for cleaning as they are easy to wipe clean and grease does not stick to the plates.
- Price is an important factor to consider when you buy anything.
- The price of a camping plate set usually depends on the brand, the materials, and the number of pieces in the set.
- The best camping plates and bowls are not necessarily the most expensive.
- Likewise, a cheap camping dish set can save you money while still meeting your needs.
- Compare your options and look out for deals as you might get a bargain.
Size of the Camping Plate Set
- For convenience, you will probably eat smaller meals in your tent. Therefore, you only need small plates and bowls.
- The smaller the set the better in terms of transporting and storing.
- The number of items in the set is another important point to consider. If there are only two of you camping, you do not need a six-person camping dish set. Similarly, if there are six of you in your family or group, a two-person set in insufficient.
- Only buy sets that have accessories you will use as you might waste money on unnecessary items.
- Unused accessories take up extra space.
- Some accessories are useful. For example, if the set includes cutlery, you will use it and not need to buy these items separately.
Personal preference may come into your choice. There is a wide range of styles and designs to choose between. Regardless of whether you prefer bold colors, simple looking items, or retro designs, you will find the best camping dish sets to please you. What one person considers the best is not necessarily the taste of someone else.
Tips for Cleaning, Storing, & Carrying Camping Dishes
Cleaning and storing your plates and bowls when camping is completely different from doing it at home. There are extra challenges
- Buy a washing up bowl. While most campsites have a sink, it is better to have your own bowl and you can use it to carry your plates and dishes to and from the sink.
- Take a small container of washing-up liquid and not a full bottle that will take up room.
- Don’t forget to pack a tea towel so you can quickly dry the plates and store them away until their next use.
- Use hot water if it is available on the campsite as this will remove the grease.
- Stack the plates and dishes inside the washing up bowl for storage between washing and using again.
- Wash the cleanest dishes first to avoid them picking up grease, dirt, and residue.
- If you have metal camping plates, make sure they are thoroughly dry to avoid tarnishing.
- When camping in a place with no running water, pour bottled water over your plates and rub thoroughly with the tea towel.
- When you return home, wash the plates and bowls thoroughly in soapy hot water before drying and storing away until your next camping trip.
Wrapping it Up
There is a great choice of dishes available that are suitable for camping and other occasions where you eat outdoors.
The best overall camping dish set is the GSI Outdoors Cascadian Table Set. It comes with everything you need and has a colorful design. It is also lightweight and durable, making it ideal for camping or for taking along with you while enjoying outdoor pursuits.
In terms of good value the best choice would be the Coghlan’s Camp Tableware. It fulfills the basic requirements of a budget camping dinnerware set.
Finally, the best option for those who want a good quality bowl and plate set for camping is the Wealer’s Stainless Steel Tableware. The high-quality stainless steel means this smart-looking tableware set will last a lifetime.